Do you know why high blood pressure is known as “the silent killer”?
We looked into the condition of high blood pressure which effects more than 16 million people throughout the UK. This piece also raises awareness of a campaign which encourages people to get their blood pressure checked.
Each year, Synexus Clinical Research helps raise awareness of Blood Pressure UK’s annual Know Your Numbers! Campaign. The week commences in the second week of September and involves hundreds of organisations signing up to provide blood pressure tests. See where you can get your blood pressure checked here.
Did you know? Synexus Clinical Research carry out up to 1,000 blood pressure checks every week – throughout the UK.
If you do know your numbers and have been diagnosed with high blood pressure what can be done to reduce them? Check out the list below, provide by NHS choices.
How can you reduce your numbers?*
- Reduce the amount of alcohol you consume
- If you are overweight try to lose weight
- Reduce caffeine intake
- Quit smoking
- Exercise often
*NHS Choices. High blood pressure (hypertension). Retrieved from http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/blood-pressure-(high)/Pages/Introduction.aspx
Some of you may be aware of Synexus’ weekly #FactFriday posts where we post an interesting fact within a therapy areas where we conduct research. As we’re raising awareness for Know Your Numbers Campaign! , here are some interesting facts provided by Blood Pressure Association ^
1. One in three adults in the UK (16 million) has high blood pressure.
2. High blood pressure is the biggest known cause of premature death & disability in the UK due to the strokes, heart attacks and heart disease it causes.
3. More than 5000,000 people don’t know they have high blood pressure that’s why it’s called the silent killer
4. People with high blood pressure are 3 times more likely to develop heart disease and stroke and twice as likely to die from these as people with a normal blood pressure.
5. Each year 125,000 adults in the UK have a heart attack or stroke in which high blood pressure is a key factor – that’s a preventable stroke or heart attack every 4 minutes.
6. High risk groups include the over 55s, people of African Caribbean descent, and people of South Asian origin who are more prone to other vascular conditions.
^ Blood Pressure Association. The need for know your numbers. Retrieved from http://www.bloodpressureuk.org/microsites/kyn/Home/AboutKYN/Theneed
Who are Synexus
Synexus is a company dedicated to conducting clinical studies and have been investigating the effectiveness of new medicines & treatments for more than 20 years. We provide a friendly, relaxed environment where you have the chance to help shape the future of health for yourself and for others.
To view our current clinical trials visit https://www.synexusclinic.co.uk/our-studies/